Now accepting applications for SUMMER 2016 - ONWARD
Resident Naturalist interns at the University of Georgia’s Costa Rica campus are dedicated, motivated individuals with a passion for natural history, teaching, and guiding. Our Naturalists lead a variety of nature-based activities and academic programs for student groups and ecotourists of all ages and educational backgrounds.
Resident Naturalists have the opportunity to advance their training in the fields of tropical ecology, natural history, environmental education, sustainability, conservation, agriculture, Costa Rican culture and Spanish. Interaction with guests from around the world both formally and informally allows Resident Naturalist interns the opportunity to develop skills in public relations and public speaking.
This is a high-energy position and requires excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, in addition to expertise in natural history and related fields. Interns spend days and evenings learning and teaching in a socially and environmentally unique atmosphere at the base of the magnificent Monteverde Cloud Forest.
In addition to their primary duties as facilitators and guides, Resident Naturalists will have the opportunity to participate in on-going projects on and around UGA Costa Rica. Naturalists are also encouraged to develop their own individual projects within their areas of interest, which may include anything from community service activities to scientific research.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree (Exceptional undergraduates will also be considered)
- Interest in natural history, ecology, wildlife, botany, environmental sciences, and related fields
- Degree in the natural or environmental sciences preferred
- Fluency in English required
- Conversational Spanish skills highly desired
- Teaching / guiding experience preferred
- Experience living abroad preferred
- Enthusiastic attitude and strong work ethic
- Flexibility in working environment and schedule
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Excellent mental and physical condition
- Availability for a minimum of six months
- Travelers’ insurance (proof required following acceptance)
- First aid certification (proof required following acceptance)
If interested, please download the application and submit it completed application along with other required documents (see application).